Saturday, November 15, 2008

Still waiting.

I have yet to hear one semi-logical reason why gay marriage will be the downfall of straight marriage. On Larry King Live last night a pastor from a hate filled Christian church said he could tell us, but didn't have enough time. This is so typical of people without an answer to a simple question.

I submit that the only real reason that the religions are so opposed to gay marriage is hate.

In summation, here are the main reasons we have been given for why gay marriage is bad.

1. We would be forced to teach our children about gay marriage. Newsflash! Unless you live in a cave or on a polygamist compound, chances are your children are aware that gay people exist. To think that we should teach acceptance of different lifestyles in our schools! Oh, the horror!

2. That churches would somehow lose their tax exempt status. This could actually be true. Because of many religions lobbying efforts to ban gay marriage they may very well lose their tax exempt status. And they should! Let me ask you something. The fact that your church enjoys tax exempt status effects you how? Oh, it doesn't? Bingo. It only effects the church, not the parishioners. It's all about money in the end.

3. That single mothers choosing to give their baby up for adoption would be forced to give it to a gay couple. First off, this is an outright lie. Secondly, if they can provide a better life for the child, why deny them that chance? I have a friend (a mormon friend) who grew up in a very dysfunctional home. Drugs, abuse, mental illness etc... He stopped me the other day and said, "I just want you to know that I would have given anything to be raised by a gay couple in a loving, functioning home instead of being raised by my parents."

4. Churches would be forced to allow gay couples to get married in their facilities. This is simply not true, and I cannot think of any reason a gay couple would want to be married in a church that desires to strip away their rights. I polled a group of gay men and when asked, "Would you want to get married in a Mormon Church?" The answers were as follows: 45% said "No" 40% said "Fuck no" and 5% said "Only if I can marry 3 men."

Can anyone give me one example of how gay marriage will effect straight marriage?

No comments:

 
Invisible Hit Counter